Last updated on 01/12/22

Since the UK departure from the EU, British citizens wishing to spend more than 90 days at a time in Spain without working must apply for a non-lucrative visa. As part of the process, applicants must gather, legalise and translate a series of documents.

This article provides a general overview of the application process and the documents required, and explains how to organise Sworn translations for Spanish non-lucrative visas.

Applying for Spanish non-lucrative visas

What are Spanish non-lucrative visas?

Non-lucrative visas are residence visas allowing non-EU citizens to live in Spain without engaging in any remunerated activity if they can financially support themselves (and their families). As Spanish non-lucrative visas only allow you to live but not to work in Spain, they are a good option for British citizens who spend long periods in Spain or who are looking to retire in Spain.

How and when to apply for Spanish non-lucrative visas

Applications for Spanish non-lucrative visas must be done in person by appointment at your nearest consular office (either London, Edinburgh or Manchester).

Please note that submitting a scanned copy of the Spanish sworn translation of your ACRO Police Certificate is required to book an appointment. It is advisable not to book a consular appointment until your documents are duly legalised (Apostilled) and translated. This will help you avoid any issues, delays and cancellations.

Documents required to apply for Spanish non-lucrative visas

The main applicant must submit the following documents:

  1. National visa application form
  2. Non-working residence visa application form
  3. A photograph
  4. Your passport and a copy of the biometric data page(s)
  5. Documents proving sufficient financial means (originals and a copy thereof)
  6. Health insurance certificate
  7. Criminal record certificate (ACRO Certificate)
  8. Medical certificate (original and a copy thereof)
  9. Proof of residence within the consular district
  10. Proof of payment of fees (two copies of form 790 code 052)

Each eligible family member must submit all the above-mentioned documents except number 5. On top of that, they must submit relevant documents proving their family relationship to the main applicant (e.g. birth certificate, marriage certificate).

A few things to bear in mind:

  • Passports must have been issued within the last 10 years, be valid for at least 1 year beyond the application date and have two blank pages.
  • The medical certificate must explicitly state that you do not suffer from any disease that could cause serious repercussions for public health pursuant to the 2005 International Health Regulations.
  • Proof of sufficient financial means: you need to prove that you have sufficient financial means to support yourself during the first year of your residence in Spain or that you receive an equivalent amount as regular income.
  • All foreign documents (e.g. UK documents) must be (1) legalised/apostilled and (2) translated into Spanish by a sworn translator.
  • The list of documents required is non-exclusive. The consular office may request additional documents, so make sure you check the latest available information before proceeding with your application.

How to arrange legalisations/Apostilles

Legalisation/Apostille is required for documents to take effect abroad (e.g. UK documents to be submitted to Spanish authorities). Therefore, documents 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 normally require Apostille, as do other supporting documents such as birth or marriage certificates.

You can arrange Apostilles online directly with the Legalisation Office. Alternatively, if you need support with your visa application, you can engage a local firm of solicitors to help you arrange Apostilles for you, too.

Sworn translations for Spanish non-lucrative visas

About Spanish sworn translations

Sworn translations are translations certified by a sworn translator who has been duly appointed as such by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They are required as part of official procedures such as applying for Spanish non-lucrative visas.

Find more information on my blog, where I provide clear answers to Spanish sworn translations FAQs.

The role of sworn translations

Sworn translations do not replace originals; they are supporting documents and you must always submit them together with the corresponding original documents as part of your application.

Documents requiring sworn translation

All foreign documents (e.g. UK documents) issued in a language other than Spanish must be translated by a sworn translator.

When to request your Spanish sworn translations

As mentioned above, your foreign documents must be (1) legalised/apostilled and (2) translated as part of your Spanish non-lucrative visa application. Since Apostilles come in a multilingual format, they do not need to (but can) be included in translations, meaning you can request Apostilles either before or after sworn translation. The main thing to remember is not to skip that step. Make sure that you have all original documents apostilled and all original sworn translations ready when booking your consular appointment.

How to arrange Sworn translations for Spanish non-lucrative visas

As a Spanish sworn translator myself, I will be happy to help with any translations you need as part of your non-lucrative visa application process. Once you have gathered all documents requiring translation, get in touch and send full scanned copies by email to receive a formal quotation.

© All rights reserved.

The information included in this article is correct at the time of publication/last update. This article is for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. Any reliance you place on such information is strictly at your own risk. ICR Translations will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from loss of data or profits as a result of, or in connection with, the use of this website.

Irene Corchado Resmella, a Spanish translator based in Edinburgh. English-Spanish sworn translator appointed by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Chartered Linguist and member of the CIOL. As a legal translator, I focus on Private Client law, specialising in Wills and Succession across three jurisdictions (England & Wales, Spain, and Scotland). Affiliate member of STEP. ICR Translations is registered with the ICO and has professional indemnity insurance.

error: The website content is copyrighted
Share This