Since the UK departure from the EU, British citizens wishing to study, complete a training programme or internship, or do some voluntary work for a period exceeding 90 days must apply for a Spanish student visa. As part of the process, applicants must gather, legalise and translate a series of documents.

This article provides a general overview of the application process and the documents required, and explains how to organise sworn translations for Spanish study visa applications.

Applying for a Spanish study visa

What are Spanish study visas?

A study visa allows you to move to Spain for a period exceeding 90 days to carry out a study/training-related activity, including

  • full-time studies;
  • a training activity;
  • a training placement (not covered by an internship visa);
  • a student mobility programme;
  • volunteering;
  • an au-pair programme; and
  • a language assistant programme.

How and when to apply for a Spanish study visa?

Applications for Spanish non-lucrative visas must be done in person by appointment at your nearest consular office (either London, Edinburgh or Manchester).

Plan your Spanish study visa application well in advance, bearing in mind

  • the start date of your study/training programme;
  • that the consular office takes up to one month to reach a decision regarding your visa from the date of submission;
  • that certain documents (e.g. ACRO certificates and medical certificates) are only valid for 3 months; and
  • that you need to factor in time for arranging legalisation and translation of documents.

Documents required for Spanish study visa applications

The student must submit the following documents:

  1. National visa application form
  2. A photograph
  3. Your passport and a copy of the biometric data page(s)
  4. Proof of acceptance for the relevant study/training/internship activity (original and a copy thereof)
  5. Document proving sufficient financial means (original and a copy thereof)
  6. Health insurance certificate (original and a copy thereof)
  7. Criminal record certificate (ACRO Certificate)
  8. Medical certificate
  9. Proof of residence within the consular district
  10. Proof of payment of visa fee (to be paid by cash or card at the consular appointment)

On top of the above-listed documents, if you are a minor student, you must also submit

  • Proof of your legal representatives’ identity and capacity (copy of one parent’s ID/passport and document proving kinship).
  • Authorisation by a legal representative (original and a copy of a notarised document by a parent/guardian consenting to the minor’s temporary relocation to Spain).

The spouse or unmarried partner as well as minor or disabled children may also obtain a visa to accompany the student, but the visa does not allow them to work in Spain. In order to apply for their visa, they must submit documents 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10, and any other applicable documents requested (such as proof of kinship).

Things to bear in mind:

  • Passports must have been issued within the last 10 years, be valid for at least 1 year beyond the application date and have two blank pages.
  • The medical certificate must explicitly state that you do not suffer from any disease that could cause serious repercussions for public health pursuant to the 2005 International Health Regulations.
  • Proof of sufficient financial means: the document has to prove that you have sufficient financial means to cover your expenses, stay and return, as well as the stay and return of your accompanying family members. If your parents are covering your expenses in Spain, you must submit a written letter by your parents along with your birth certificate and your parents’ original passports and (and copies thereof).
  • All foreign documents (e.g. UK documents) must be (1) legalised/apostilled and (2) translated into Spanish by a sworn translator.
  • The list of documents required is non-exclusive. The consular office may request additional documents, so make sure you check the latest available information before proceeding with your application.

How to arrange legalisations/Apostilles

Legalisation/Apostille is required for documents to take effect abroad (e.g. UK documents to be submitted to Spanish authorities). You can arrange Apostilles online directly with the Legalisation Office. Alternatively, you can hire the services of a visa support agency or, if you need support with your visa application, you can engage a local firm of solicitors to help you arrange Apostilles for you, too.

Sworn translations for Spanish study visa applications

About Spanish sworn translations

Sworn translations are certified by a sworn translator who has been duly appointed as such by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This type of translation is required in official procedures such as applying for a Spanish student visa. For more information, visit my blog, where I provide clear answers to Spanish sworn translations FAQs.

The role of sworn translations

Sworn translations are supporting documents. They do not replace your original UK-issued documents. When you apply for a Spanish study visa, you must always take with you the original documents + sworn translations.

Documents requiring sworn translation

All foreign documents (e.g. UK documents) issued in a language other than Spanish must be translated by a sworn translator, unless an exception applies to your particular circumstances. If in doubt, please double-check with your nearest Spanish consular office.

When to request your Spanish sworn translations

As mentioned above, your foreign documents must be (1) legalised/apostilled and (2) translated as part of your Spanish study visa application. Since Apostilles come in a multilingual format, they do not need to (but can) be included in translations. Make sure that you have all original documents apostilled and all sworn translations ready when booking your consular appointment.

How to arrange sworn translations for your Spanish study visa application

As a Spanish sworn translator myself, I will be happy to help with any translations you need as part of your study visa application process. Once you have gathered all documents requiring translation, get in touch and send full scanned copies by email to receive a formal quotation.

© All rights reserved.

The information included in this article is correct at the time of publication/last update. This article is for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. Any reliance you place on such information is strictly at your own risk. ICR Translations will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from loss of data or profits as a result of, or in connection with, the use of this website.

Irene Corchado Resmella, a Spanish translator based in Edinburgh. English-Spanish sworn translator appointed by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Chartered Linguist and member of the CIOL. As a legal translator, I focus on Private Client law, specialising in Wills and Succession across three jurisdictions (England & Wales, Spain, and Scotland). Affiliate member of STEP. ICR Translations is registered with the ICO and has professional indemnity insurance.

error: The website content is copyrighted
Share This